Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Easter Eggs Galore

Eggs go in the bath with 1Tbs vinegar and put in the fridge



24hours later and slimy
  I was thinking how great it would be to dye our eggs with all natural dyes and I found some good veggie dyes you make yourself.  I didn't really realize how really difficult it would be. The dye instructions are really vague and the eggs come out all slimy (if you touch them the dye comes off).  This is a really nice idea but it might take some years to really perfect. A few of the colours are quite nice, blue from boiled red cabbage and the Golden yellow from boiled turmeric. Apart from those the colours are muddy and not so awesome (as you can see in the pictures).  I hope you still  try  to dye your eggs with  natural dyes and hopefully have better success.
   The next thing we will be doing is jello filled egg shells. This is a Easter tradition my mum did when I was a kid and I just love it.  I will also be attempting to fill them with chocolate this year. I will  be posting our egg filling  trial on Friday night.

Garden Update
  My salad garden is beginning to sprout its first two row of  lettuce plantings, they aren't ready to be thinned yet but next week they will be. I put some store bought starts of fennel and dill in.  My cucumbers are big and the weather is still too cold to transplant outside. I hope it gets above 40 at night soon, my living room is not set up to be a hothouse.
  In my big garden the snap peas are getting to be 2"tall , beets, chard, and kale sprouting up. All is looking good.,well almost.
  The dang slugs are killing me.  I used all the natural tricks but, I did resort to an organic compound called "Sluggo".  It is made of copper salts, it does the same thing as the copper strips, it shocks them.  I just had it when I went outside and my broccoli plants had more holes and one had been mowed down completely. ARGGG!!!  That's when I gave up on the totally natural approach.  I am sorry but I really tried, the slugs won that battle.  

1 comment:

  1. It would be fun to experiment with different colors if you had the time. Of course, I'm not sure who has time to do that. I understand it takes a long time to get natural dyes to work.

    ReplyDelete